Customer Service Shocker

Last Friday I ordered a printed T shirt online from www.garmentprinting.co.uk

I have encountered poor customer service before – I’m sure we all have. But have you ever seen a company willing to record such a shocking attitude towards their customer in writing?

My experience when ordering a printed T Shirt online last week surely takes the biscuit.

First an email chronology to set the scene:

11:04 – my online request for a quote is acknowledged
11:09 – confirmation that same day service can be achieved
11:38 – quote received
11:57 – order acknowledged and invoice for “Printing x 1 GD31 – Mens Polo Shirt” received
12:33 – link to approve design & artwork received
12:40 – acknowledgement of my approval received
12:54 – email received providing details of where and when to collect my order

All very good up until this point. Then things took a turn for the worse.

Enter Garment Printing’s Gavin Drake (@garmentprinting on Twitter).

From: Jon Weedon
Date: Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: Garment Printing – Visual Proof – Jon Weedon – Order Ref: GP 5262
To: Garment Printing <sales.team@garmentprinting.co.uk>

Hi there

I just noticed from the visual this is a crew neck. I’m sure I ordered a polo! Is it too late to change?

Jon

Sent from my iPhone

From: Garment Printing – Sales Team <sales.team@garmentprinting.co.uk>
Date: Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: Garment Printing – Visual Proof – Jon Weedon – Order Ref: GP 5262
To: Jon Weedon

Thats all we can do, so sorry you missed this bit of info and yes its already gone to process and print

Sorry

Sent from my iPhone

From: Jon Weedon
Date: Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: Garment Printing – Visual Proof – Jon Weedon – Order Ref: GP 5262
To: Garment Printing – Sales Team <sales.team@garmentprinting.co.uk>

Hi Gavin

Now that I’m back at my PC I have checked all of the emails including the quote and cannot see any mention of T shirt versus Polo. Am I missing something?

Jon

From: Garment Printing – Sales Team <sales.team@garmentprinting.co.uk>
Date: Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: Garment Printing – Visual Proof – Jon Weedon – Order Ref: GP 5262
To: Jon Weedon

look at original quote

Gavin Drake
Garment Printing
A “Print This Print That” Company

From: Garment Printing <sales.team@garmentprinting.co.uk>
Date: Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:56 PM
Subject: Garment Printing – Jon Weedon – Ref: GP 5262�
To: Jon Weedon

I sent you this at the very beginning before any quote

Hello Jon Weedon,

We can supply a tshirt today, printed in our Kingston Print House

Can you collect from there.

Otherwise its £20 for the top + same day delivery

Many thanks,

Garment Printing
www.garmentprinting.co.uk

From: Jon Weedon
Date: Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM
Subject: Re: Garment Printing – Jon Weedon – Ref: GP 5262�
To: Garment Printing <sales.team@garmentprinting.co.uk>

Ah I see. Very subtle! Not exactly “I stated that we only has the ability to do tshirts in the quote and in the emails” is it?

May I suggest next time you spell it out with a bit more clarity rather than seeking to blame your customers for missing the info.

Anyway, thanks for getting this done so quickly.

Jon

From: Garment Printing – Sales Team <sales.team@garmentprinting.co.uk>
Date: Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:42
Subject: Re: Garment Printing – Jon Weedon – Ref: GP 5262�
To: Jon Weedon

OK

look at your quote.

its says £25 (black tshirt)

I think it was clear and thanks for your feedback

Gavin Drake

Garment Printing
A “Print This Print That” Company

From: Jon Weedon
Date: Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: Garment Printing – Jon Weedon – Ref: GP 5262�
To: Garment Printing – Sales Team <sales.team@garmentprinting.co.uk>

You are missing the point here.

A t shirt to most people is a generic term that could include a crew neck, V neck, polo whatever. I’m not really interested in whether you think your communication was clear – the fact that as a customer I am saying it was not clear should be all you need to concern yourself with so you can avoid future misunderstandings.

Anyway, your attitude alone is such that I will not be using your services again.

Shame because I am genuinely happy with everything else you guys have done for me today.

Regards,

Jon

From: Garment Printing – Sales Team <sales.team@garmentprinting.co.uk>
Date: Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: Garment Printing – Jon Weedon – Ref: GP 5262�
To: Jon Weedon

are you having a bad day?

Gavin Drake
Garment Printing
A “Print This Print That” Company

From: Jon Weedon
Date: Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: Garment Printing – Jon Weedon – Ref: GP 5262�
To: Garment Printing – Sales Team <sales.team@garmentprinting.co.uk>

Yes actually. Got to Mark’s and the T shirt was not ready. Have to go back in half an hour. Still, no doubt that does not warrant an apology either.

All the best,

Jon

By the time I got back from my second visit to Garment Printing’s local agent I guess Gavin had gone home for the weekend as the communication ceased.

“are you having a bad day?” – can you believe that?

10 thoughts on “Customer Service Shocker

• @mike – in a funny way, the magnitude of the inappropriateness kind of took the sting out of the situation – it was so bad, disbelief quickly turned to amusement…

• @adam – I didn’t want to make a fuss before the order was completed as I needed the shirt for a party that night. I suspect if I had lost it earlier in the day I’d have had to go to the Black Eyed Peas themed party as a ageing hippy…

• @Oli I was very happy with the T-shirt – just what I had ordered (apart from the fact it was a crew neck and not a polo). Hard to misspell “Boom Boom Pow” 😉